Thursday, June 29, 2017

what of the cross?

Today the cross
  is a symbol
to be
         worn on necklaces
            tattooed on ankles
               stuck on bumpers.
It stands for “Jesus”
or sometimes just “church”
(meaning the building and service, of course)

But what of the cross? 
the real cross
the bloody cross…
Jesus’ cross? 

What makes me think my sin
is to black to be hung on Your
             torture device? 
What makes me think my problems
are too heavy to be added to 
            the weight of the world? 
What makes me think my failures 
are something special to me
and haven’t already been added
by another person
              at another time, 
                    in another place? 
What makes me think I should
hold on to anything
          when You died for everything 
             I don’t want to hold onto? 
Through forgiveness, You gave us the freedom 
to forgive, 
so what makes me think I cannot
forgive myself? 

I don’t rejoice in the cross because
it is a shining beacon
of hope and life. 
It is not shining.
It is bloody
                      splintered
                      heavy
                      dirty.

I rejoice in the cross because
there I can leave the worst parts of me,
the pride
                          anger
                          self-deprecation 
                          ugliness
                          selfishness
                          gossip
                            greed

and then I can turn around
and walk away

free

for Christ.



1 comment: